Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Emily's Teeth Healing

It seems to be natural writing about Valentines or love for the Feburary post. But I just can't hold my excitement to share Emily's success in healing her cavities! Yes, it's working in just seven weeks!

I mentioned that Emily was diagnosed with four cavities on her back molars about eight months ago (she only had four molars back then). The pediatric dentist wanted to put her to sleep and put on four stainless steel crowns on her. I refused. Several dentists and well-meaning friends told us some kids were born with weak enamels and deep grooves. There's nothing we can do about it. David and I determined to be more diligent on her toothbrushing and flossing. Despite of our best effort, the dentist informed us six months later that she had eight cavities this time with two definitely needing stainless steel crowns. He showed the hole on one of her molar tooth. I was terrified and defeated! In my mind, people shouldn't have teeth problems until they are at least thirty years old. In China, only old people have teeth problems. But Emily is only five! We were very surprised and suspicious, to say the least. I did not have peace at all about the diagnosis, I began the journey of researching teeth.

I began by praying a lot, not sure where to start but knowing that I needed to find out why and how cavities were invading her mouth so quickly. I didn’t want to ignore the cavities and cause them to get worse (especially the one with the hole), but at the same time I was feeling very strongly that I needed a dentist I could trust. I took Emily to see another pediatric dentist who had a pretty good reviews. After he took some "free xrays", he told us Emily had eight cavities. But for now he could just do one stainless steel crown and one filling. That was the best he could do. The hole was too big and too far for a filling. So the crown was guaranteed. While I was doing research on what materials to use for the crown and the filling. I found out there's no safe or good crown or filling materials for the kids, although the filling is better option than a crown. I really didn't want Emily to have any toxic stuff in her mouth. I continued to pray for the right dentist to address Emily’s problem.  
 
I had been learning a lot about healthy living and natural remedies in recent years. Now as a parent, I couldn’t soak up enough information. I was eager to help my kids have the best health possible. I really believe God was leading me in my study. I bumped into the books on Cure Tooth Decay and Weston Price's research. Tooth decay, as researched by Dr. Weston Price and other dental pioneers, boiled down to three factors:
  • Not enough minerals in the diet.
  • Not enough fat-soluble vitamins (A, D, E, and K) in the diet.
  • Nutrients not being readily bioavailable, and your intestinal system not properly absorbing them. The presence of phytic acid largely influences this factor.
Over a period of time, if your diet lacks vitamins and minerals from a poor diet and/or contains high levels of phytates (from grains, seeds, nuts, and legumes, which is our case), the blood chemistry and the ratio of calcium and phosphorous become out of balance, which results in minerals being pulled from bones, causing tooth and bone loss. By the way, Andy has a cavity on watch. I have one cavity on a back tooth too.

So, the long-standing belief that sugar causes tooth decay is true, but as a result of it depleting nutrients from the body, not because bacteria eat it and produce acid that ruins your teeth.
 
I became fascinated and ecstatic after reading Ramiel Nagel's ‘Cure Tooth Decay'. I finished reading it in one night (staying up to three o'clock). Everything began to come together after I read that book. I had researched and read about all different diet programs. Again and again it came back to simple things. No refined foods and sugar; lots of good fats and vegetable; soaked grains. God designed your body that it can heal some of the injuries on its own with good nutrition. I was born with a very poor health. But with lots of exercise and some nutrition, I was seldom sick after high school. I'm willing to give Emily's teeth a shot too!
 
At the same time, I found a holistic dentist close by. But she doesn't accept patient younger than six years old.  I asked David to give me a couple of months to work intensively with Emily up to she turns six years old (so we can check with the holistic dentist then). We did the best we could. We took away all forms of sweetness, even natural things like honey and fruit. We took out all refined foods and grains. We stuck to lots of vegetables, raw milk, grass fed butter and cheese, homemade yogurt from raw grass fed milk. I gave her a double dose of fermented cod liver oil and butter oil. We also began using our homemade clay toothpaste and supplimenting with cell salts.
 
She was such a good sport about the whole thing! Of course there were days that weren’t perfect but on the whole we were very diligent. We took off from school on Valentine's day to a tampoline house to avoid the sweets from school. David and Emily skipped the "Daddy and Daughter tea" party at church and had a dinner date at Houston's instead. There were only a couple of times that Emily cheated on fruit at home, a cupcake from school on 100th day of school, and buns/pizza from the restaurants during the birthday times. But what do you expect from a five-year-old? Right after she cheated on the diet, her tooth that had the hole began to bleed and hurt. That was seven weeks after we started working on her diet. David and I worried the tooth decay would progress faster than it heals. And I didn't want to risk pulling out that tooth with my ignorance. So I took Emily the next day to the holistic dentist's office with a slight hope that she would take Emily as her patient. I showed Emily to the receptionist "This is the girl that I called about. She is not six years old yet. But I promise she will do great ..." The receptionist asked Emily to step forward and took a look at her teeth. Then she said, "She looks mature for her age. Let me put her on the schedule."
 
We went in two days later. They x-rayed her teeth and found only three cavities left. Only one that has the hole needs a filling now (for the peace of my mind)! From eight cavities to three; from two stainless steel crowns to one filling, I just praised God and stood in awe! God can heal the teeth just like any other part of our body. He is so good and He sees how much we want to care for our children and provide the very best for them. Don't let anyone tell you that you can do nothing about it! I like the words on our farmer's package: Let thy food be thy medicine; and let thy medicine be thy food! Food can heal your body. I'd rather spend money on good food than on the dentists and toxins. Without any question, we will continue the CTD diet protocol until the last two cavities are gone! And we know they will! My cavity on the molar tooth is believed to be arrested. It just needs to be confirmed by the xray at my next appointment.

If you'd like to read a couple of more stories on how people healed their tooth decay, here are three stories that encouraged me:
http://green-earth-mama.blogspot.com/2014/02/how-i-am-curing-my-sons-tooth-decay.html
http://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.com/how-i-healed-my-childs-cavity/#sthash.bJRoltpR.dpuf
http://chroniclesofacurvyhousewife.blogspot.com/2013/07/how-i-healed-cavity-while-breastfeeding.html

Here is more information on how to heal cavities naturally: http://www.livingtraditionally.com/how-to-heal-cavities-naturally/


So, we made our own clay tooth paste
We made our own yogurt. Emily and Andy loved the plain yogurt.

and saukraut

The most difficult part of the CTD diet is getting rid of grains. We did it for two months. But we may occasionally have homemade sour dough bread in the future. So we started making the sour dough starter.

 
After two failures, we finally made a successful sour dough starter. Emily is doing the sink or float testing. We'll have our first sour dough bread next week.
 
We made tons of bone broth and egg shell calcium powder

Lots of grass fed meat
 
A little soaked and dehydrated nuts

 
Lots of vegetables including cauliflower pizza crust

 
Eggplant pizza

 
Look at how orange the pastured egg yolk is!

 
Yummy!

 
Homemade cream cheese and whey


 
We made some non-candy valentines gifts for Emily's classmates. Gayla and I took her for a trampoline time and a ride on the trail next to our house.


 
Emily loved the trail. She couldn't wait to take Andy and Daddy there




 
Andy was so tired afterwards. He decided to drive home.
 

We had a wonderful time celebrating Chloe's birthday. Everyone had fun at ChuckNCheese




 

Oh, happy birthday Dr. Seuss!

Emily and Andy really enjoy reading to each other. Here's what I found after their bath:





 
Andy is doing great on his haircut.

 
Here is the snow in Febrary!



1 Peter 5:7 "Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you."
Psalm 37:5 "Commit your way to the LORD; trust in him and he will do this."

James 1:5 “If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him.”



2 comments: